Total Pageviews

Friday, October 11, 2024

Halloween Poem

                                 Halloween 

Hi, this is my favorite Halloween poem, as requested. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. Remember, poems need to be read out loud. I read it in a ghostly whisper. Have fun. 

                                              Halloween

Tonight is the night

When dead leaves fly

Like witches on switches

Across the sky,

When elf and sprite

Flit through the night

On a moony sheen.


Tonight is the night

When leaves make a sound

Like a gnome in his home

Under the ground,

When spooks and trolls

Creep out of holes

Mossy and green.


Tonight is the night

When pumpkins stare

Through sheaves and leaves

Everywhere,

When ghoul and ghost

And goblin host

Dance round their queen,

It's Halloween!

                                                           by Harry Behn

When I was teaching, I would have the class learn the first verse, so when we walked in the hallway, instead of pushing, shoving, and talking, their minds would be busy.

Halloween activities stopped when some parents felt it was a form of Satan worship. They likely did not know Halloween is from the words "All Hallows Eve " from the Catholic church. 




1 comment:

  1. Great poem. It's a pity that some people take Halloween too seriously. Having a bit of fun doesn't equal Satan worship.

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Poem

                                 Halloween  Hi, this is my favorite Halloween poem, as requested. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. Remem...