Total Pageviews

Sunday, September 22, 2024

Writers Have Homework

                 Writers Have Homework, Too! 

When I was a student, I had homework. As a teacher, I had homework. Correcting papers, making lesson plans, and filling out endless paperwork needed by the district, state government, and federal added to my day. And then there were the Pet Projects: the science, math, social studies, language arts, art, and, of course, the music departments. I'm not kidding.  I could not procrastinate, or the whole world would tumble down in chaos, and the finger would point to me with whispers, "It was all her fault. She didn't do her homework."

Don't get me wrong. I enjoyed the kids and the teaching part of each day. And guess what. Even though some children did not do their homework. I got a letter from a mom asking me to excuse her son from handing in his six-week project as she did Spring cleaning and put his hard work in a salad bowl, and after the cleaning was done, she couldn't find the salad bowl. I thought about giving the mom an N for needs to improve for Spring cleaning. Still, I enjoyed the students and their enthusiasm. 

I retired after forty years.

I must secretly love homework, as I became a writer. I enjoy several parts of writing; however, there are definitely required areas I do not enjoy. So, I can identify with Jane Yolen, who wrote this little missive.

                                                                  Homework

What is it about homework

That makes me want to write

My Great Aunt Myrt to thank her for

The sweater that's too tight?


What is it about homework

That makes me pick up socks

That stink from days and days of wear,

Then clean the litter box?


What is it about homework

That makes me volunteer

To take the garbage out before

The bugs and flies appear?


What is it about homework

That makes me wash my hair

And take an hour combing out

The snags and tangles there?


What is it about homework

You know, I wish I knew,

'Cause nights when I've got homework

I've got much too much to do!😝😧😫😬

Think about it. I bet you have some kind of work you don't like to do and procrastinate, as Jane Yolen and I do. 

Right now, my homework is finding out why an eight-year-old Jewish girl in Sweden became an orphan in the 1800s.

I also need to find some information stored in a file on my laptop. I am looking through my files and can not find the information even with the laptop's search. I know it is rattling around in there somewhere, but where, oh where, can it be?  Maybe it got put in a salad bowl and lost in Autumn cleaning. 😵

1 comment:

Halloween Poem

                                 Halloween  Hi, this is my favorite Halloween poem, as requested. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. Remem...