Total Pageviews

Monday, September 20, 2021

Bible Foods Apples

                       Apples

'Tis the season I think of apples.  Apple pie, Carmel apples, French apple pie,  apple tarts, and so on and on.
Of course, apples are good as apples.  Now, for me, I am just talking taste, 

But

for those of you who think of food as nutrition and not as yummy, here is good news for you. You can have the yummy and the nutrition.  Two for one.  What a deal! 

In a study at the Institute of Physiology in France, it was found that a diet heavy in apples (about 3 a day) showed a 10 to 30  percent reduction in cholesterol level, and the apples boosted the HDL and lowered the LDL cholesterol, which is responsible for clogging arteries.

The apple is rich in natural sugar, which does not cause a rapid rise in blood sugar, and it prevents the body from pumping out too much insulin, which helps bring down blood cholesterol and blood pressure.
Apples are good at controlling blood sugar. This is good news for diabetics.

Whole apples are great for dieters as they raise blood glucose levels, making you feel fuller.
Apple juice is helpful when you have a cold or viruses.

Apples fight constipation and diarrhea at the same time.  (WOW! ain't that somethin'.) Apples or applesauce have pectin in the apple fiber, which is the healing factor for diarrhea; that is why pectin is included in  Kaopectate for over-the-counter remedies.
And the apple pectin has the same fiber that helps to keep us regular and to prevent constipation.

A group of scientists in Norway found that apples helped clean teeth and cut down on the risk of tooth decay.

The apple has had a bad reputation among some folks.  They go back to Adam and Eve.  But Genesis does not say the name of the fruit that Adam and Eve ate.  I don't know how the apple got into Genesis.
In the Song of Songs 2:5, Someone speaks, "Strengthen me with raisins, refresh me with apples, for I am faint with love. 

To get all these benefits, the whole apple must be eaten, including the skin.  This poses a slight problem for me as I find the skin is tough to chew and digest.  Perhaps, I should bake the apples to soften the skin, BUT no brown sugar should be added for a baked apple dessert. That would destroy the benefit of the apple.  (WOE is me!  I love sugar.) 

Apples on one of God's great blessings.  

                                                                  *           *           *


If you read the riddle on my Facebook page, here are some of the possible answers.

Riddle:  Why are manhole covers round?
Answers:    These are the top three:

1. Round manhole covers cannot fall through the circular opening, where a square manhole cover may fall in if it is inserted diagonally.

2. Round manhole covers do not need to be rotated to a specific position in order to fit in place.

3.  Round manhole covers are easy to move because they do not necessarily need to be carried: they can be rolled like a wheel.

 (Note:  I have finished my historical novel, Texas Cakewalk, and am sending it off to an editor.  Three years to get to this point.  Happy Day!)



1 comment:

  1. Yum!! I had to eat an apple after reading this. Delicious and good for you!

    ReplyDelete

Reading Joy

                                                               I Opened a Book "I opened a book and in I strode.  Now nobody can find ...